Thursday, October 11, 2012

Separation Anxiety


 

So my son has recently been showing some signs of separation anxiety...nothing major. He fusses a little when I leave the room and that's about it. But lately he has been physically CLINGING to my body! I finally got a picture of it yesterday to send Matt. I laugh every time I look at it, the look on his face is awesome :) 
Last night while giving him his last bottle before bed I was reflecting on my day and where I encountered Jesus when I was reminded of this picture. The Lord brought to mind the scene in the Garden of Gethsemane  when Jesus sweat great drops of blood, agonizing over his impending separation from the Father.
     The greatest separation anxiety.
 
     Thank you Lord that we as believers do not have to fear being separated from the Father.
 
Romans 8:39
"Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

 
     That being said, I do on many occasions feel distant from God. Some days God seems to speak directly to my concerns and prayers, while on other days I don't hear Him at all. It's not that I'm not seeking Him. I am in prayer throughout the day and (try) to regularly read His word (although I fully recognize I need major improvement in this area). But some days all I get is silence. Last night God reminded me of a verse we looked at during Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) and spoke to me concerning this issue:
 
James 1:14
"But each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed."
 
     Temptation and sin drag me away from fellowship with the Father. When I feel distant from God I need to examine my life and confess my sins to my father (and to those whom I've sinned against). That takes work sometimes!There are times I honestly can't think of anything specific I've done wrong, but I know I sin daily and I want to be better about confessing them.
 
     I know this post kind of rambled on, so thank you to anyone who read through it all. I pray God uses my encounters with Him as an encouragement to you who may be reading.
 
     I'd like to end with the Lifehouse Skit that always inspires me. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but maybe some have not. It's just such a great reminder that God is waiting for us on the other side of our sin.
 

1 comment: